Head instructor/ program director
Michael is a second generation martial artist with more than 30 years experience. Foley’s Martial Arts was founded in 1978 by Michael’s father, Mike Foley Sr. and Michael grew up immersed in combat sports. Michael’s competitive career began in 1988 and his coaching career in 1994. Currently, he holds a 6th degree black belt in Kenpo Karate, brown belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu, orange belt in Judo as well as national coaching certifications from Kickboxing Canada and Sport Canada. In international competition, Michael has stood on the podium eight times for Canada as a member of our national kickboxing and sport karate teams and has held both the Canadian and the Atlantic Canadian amateur kickboxing title belts for the Council of Amateur Sport Kickboxing. In addition, Michael has extensive training in Muay Thai, boxing and wrestling. His martial arts career has taken him to Thailand, Brazil, Greece, South Africa, the United States and across Canada. He is a long-time member of Canada’s national kickboxing team and is a founding member of Kickboxing Newfoundland & Labrador, which is the official governing body of amateur kickboxing in the province.
- 1989 – Bronze medal Canadian kenpo nationals, Montreal, Quebec.
- 1991 – Gold medal CBN open.
- 1995 – Promoted to black belt in kenpo karate by Mike Foley sr.
- 1996 – Gold medal black belt, Newfoundland championships.
- 1998 – Promoted to 2nd degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 1999 – Bronze medal Ontario provincial championships.
- 2000 – Gold medal Canada Cup – Canadian national team trials.
- 2001 – Gold medal WPKA World Championships, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 2001 – Promoted to 3rd degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2001 – 2 x Gold medal KICK North American Championships, FL, USA.
- 2002 – Gold Medal WKA Canadian National Championships.
- 2005 – Promoted to 4th degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2005 – Gold medal WKA kickboxing, New York.
- 2006 – Gold medal CASK kickboxing Night of Champions.
- 2007 – Atlantic Canadian Kickboxing Championship title belt.
- 2008 – Promoted to blue belt in Gracie jiu jitsu by Pedro Sauer.
- 2010 – Canadian Kickboxing Championship title belt.
- 2011 – Promoted to 5th degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2012 – Promoted to purple belt in Gracie jiu jitsu by Pedro Sauer.
- 2016 – Promoted to 6th degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2016 – 1st place NAGA US Open purple belt.
- 2017 – Promoted to brown belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu by Shane Rice.
- 6th degree black belt kenpo karate.
- Brown belt Gracie jiu jitsu.
- CASK Level 1 nationally certified kickboxing coach.
- CASK level 2 nationally certified official.
- NCCP Level 2 nationally certified coach.
- CPR and First Aid.