Head Instructor/ Program Director
Michael is a second generation martial artist with more than 30 years experience. Foley’s Martial Arts was founded in 1978 by Michael’s father, Mike Foley Sr. and Michael grew up immersed in combat sports. He holds a 6th degree black belt in Kenpo Karate, three stripe brown belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu and has an extensive background as a competitor and coach in the sport of Kickboxing. His coaching credentials include certifications from Sport Canada’s national coaching certification program and Kickboxing Canada. His martial arts career has taken him to Brazil, Thailand, Greece, South Africa, and across Canada and the United States. In international competition, Michael has stood on the podium numerous times for Canada as a member of our national kickboxing and sport karate teams and has held both the Canadian and the Atlantic Canadian amateur kickboxing title belts.
- 1989 – Bronze medal kenpo ‘top ten’ nationals, Montreal, Quebec.
- 1991 – Gold medal CBN open, Carbonear, NL.
- 1995 – Promoted to black belt in kenpo karate by Mike Foley sr.
- 1996 – Gold medal Newfoundland championships, St. John’s, NL.
- 1998 – Promoted to 2nd degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 1999 – Bronze medal Ontario Open, Hamilton, Ontario.
- 2000 – Gold medal Canada Cup, Oakville, Ontario.
- 2001 – Gold medal WPKA World Championships, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 2001 – Promoted to 3rd degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2001 – 2 x Gold medal KICK North American Championships, FL, USA.
- 2002 – Gold Medal WKA Canadian Nationals, Ottawa, Ontario.
- 2005 – Promoted to 4th degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2005 – Gold medal WKA kickboxing, New York, USA.
- 2006 – Gold medal CASK kickboxing Night of Champions, Oakville, ON.
- 2007 – Won Atlantic Canadian Kickboxing title belt, St. John’s, NL.
- 2008 – Promoted to blue belt in Gracie jiu jitsu by Pedro Sauer.
- 2010 – Won Canadian Kickboxing Champion title belt. St. John’s, NL.
- 2011 – Promoted to 5th degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2012 – Promoted to purple belt in Gracie jiu jitsu by Pedro Sauer.
- 2016 – Promoted to 6th degree black belt by Mike Foley sr.
- 2016 – 1st place NAGA US Open purple belt, Florida, USA.
- 2017 – Promoted to brown belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu by Shane Rice.
Coaching, Officiating and First Aid Certifications:
- NCCP Level 2 nationally certified coach.
- Level 1 nationally certified kickboxing coach.
- Level 2 nationally certified kickboxing official.
- Heart & Stroke Foundation CPR/AED.
- St. John Ambulance First Aid.